Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Kardos, Rickles & Hand Bucks County Divorce Attorney
  • Contact Us Today For a Consultation

When To See A Medical Specialist


If you were hurt in a car accident, it is important to seek medical attention. While your primary care physician may be the first person you see in order to have your Pennsylvania or New Jersey accident injury assessed, you may also need to pursue care from a medical specialist.

To talk through your Injury recovery options and learn about which healthcare providers could help you fully heal from an accident injury, connect with a Bucks County personal injury attorney.

Why a Primary Care Doctor May Not Be Enough

While your primary care doctor has likely helped you heal from past illnesses, they may not have the specialized training or expertise required to properly diagnose and treat injuries from car accidents. This could be true, in part, because some injuries that often occur during traffic collisions may require specialized diagnostic tools and treatment plans.

Examples of accident injuries that could benefit from specialist care:

  • Pain and stiffness in the neck and back are common injuries after a car crash. Whiplash sufferers sometimes benefit from appointments with chiropractors or physical therapists, professionals who can help alleviate the pain and stiffness
  • A type of brain injury that can occur due to a blow to the head, concussion symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating. Care from a neurologist may be required in order to secure an accurate diagnosis.
  • Spinal Injuries. A spinal cord injury can be one of the most serious injuries sustained in a car accident, and numbness or tingling in the extremities, difficulty breathing, and loss of bladder or bowel control are all possible. Specialist care is necessary for proper diagnosis and treatment.
  • Psychological harm. Many car accident victims report psychological trauma such as anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the weeks and months following an accident. A psychologist or psychiatrist can help diagnose these conditions and put a robust treatment plan in place.

What type of care you will need after a car accident will depend on the type of harm sustained. But beyond your primary care doctor, you may need to see chiropractors, neurologists, surgeons, orthopedic specialists, and mental health providers in order to heal.

And beyond connecting the healing plan you require, insurance companies may be more likely to accept medical opinions from a specialist, so seeking medical care from someone other than a general practitioner, or in addition to your primary care provider, could be in your best interests.

If you have been involved in a car accident in Bucks County, connect with the professional support you need, including a Bucks County personal injury attorney and medical specialists who are well-equipped to diagnose and treat car accident injuries.

Have you seen your primary care doctor but are still in pain after a recent car accident? You may require care from a medical specialist. Instead of worrying about the cost of specialist care, talk to the legal team at Kardos, Rickles & Hand about how to achieve financial recovery in order to access the care you need. Call 215-968-6602.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation