Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Bucks County Divorce Attorney
Contact Us Today For a Consultation 215-968-6602
Bucks County Divorce Attorneys > Blog > Personal Injury > What If My Pet Is Injured In a Car Accident

What If My Pet Is Injured In a Car Accident


Many in New Jersey or Pennsylvania travel with their pets in their cars. There are a variety of reasons for traveling with animals, including companionship or transporting a pet to the home of a friend or family member. While everyone tries to avoid collisions, car accidents do happen. And in the event that they do occur, people and their pets can be injured.

If you have medical bills or veterinary bills in connection with a car accident, talk to a Bucks County personal injury attorney. Compensation is possible.

Keeping Pets Safe When They Are In a Vehicle

Of course, the best thing to do is to avoid animal injuries. While that is not always possible, there are things you can do to keep pets safe in cars and hopefully sidestep any harm.

  • Buy your own pet insurance. While there are options to have another driver cover your vet bills, many choose to purchase their own pet insurance coverage. It gives pet owners comfort to know that vet bills will be covered, regardless of how an injury occurs.

  • No jumping on the lap of a driver. Pets cannot be loose in vehicles creating hazards, from jumping on a driver’s lap to moving erratically and causing a driver to take their eyes off the road.

  • Crates for animals and training. Each animal is unique. Some dogs can be trained to ride in a car and not create risk. Other dogs will need to be crated in the back of a vehicle. Assess your family situation and take the steps needed to drive safely.

Receiving Compensation for Vet Bills After an Accident

Typically, liability will have to be determined before compensation can be awarded. Who is the at-fault driver is not always crystal clear in the emotional aftermath of a vehicle accident. If you need to take your animal to the vet before responsibility is known, simply keep all payment records in the event you can be reimbursed.

If it is decided the other driver is liable, their insurance company will likely pay for your expenses including the care your animals need due to a collision. Animals are covered as the personal property of an individual under most insurance plans and property is something to be compensated for after an accident. A Bucks County personal injury attorney can file the claim for you.

There are also times when pets provide more than companionship and love. Some are trained with special skills. These service animals can have additional circumstances. If an animal is no longer able to provide the service they provided prior to the accident, the insurance company may be liable for further compensation.

Were you in an accident when your pet was in the car? Have you paid vet bills after your cat or dog was injured in a collision?  The personal injury attorneys at Kardos, Rickles & Hand will work with you for the best possible outcome, whether that is filing a claim against a negligent driver or with an insurance company. Schedule your consultation today, call 215-968-6602.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn