Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Bucks County Divorce Attorney
Contact Us Today For a Consultation 215-968-6602
Bucks County Divorce Attorneys > Blog > Family Law > Reverting To Maiden Name When A Marriage Ends

Reverting To Maiden Name When A Marriage Ends


If you changed your name when you got married, reverting to your maiden name may be an important step in moving on when divorcing.

When considering changing your name in Pennsylvania, there are several things you need to know. Talk to a Bucks County family attorney about how to change your name when divorcing and what forms of documentation you will need to be updated. An attorney can help you with both the name change process and the drafting of divorce agreements that are legally binding.

How to Change Your Name When Divorcing in Pennsylvania

If you’re getting divorced in Pennsylvania and want to change your name back to your maiden name, you have two options:

  • Request a name change as part of your PA divorce. If you want to change your name as part of your divorce, you can request the change within your divorce petition. You’ll need to provide your current name, your desired name, and your reason for wanting to change your name. The court will usually grant the request as long as it is not being made for fraudulent or illegal purposes.
  • After the divorce is finalized, pursuing a name change. When a name change wasn’t requested as part of the divorce, you can still change your name after the divorce is finalized. You’ll need to file a petition with the court and pay a filing fee. You’ll also need to provide your current name, your desired name, and your reason for wanting to change your name.

The decision to change your name is a personal one for you to make. Your soon-to-be-ex spouse is not in charge of making this decision, it is your decision alone. The only exception is if you agreed to a previous legal contract connected to your name, such as within a prenuptial agreement, for example.

Different Forms of Documentation Will Need to be Updated

And remember, after a name change you will need to alert others. Changing your name after a divorce in Pennsylvania requires updating several forms of documentation.

You will need to visit the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to get a new driver’s license or state ID, contact the Social Security Administration to get a new Social Security card with your new name, and update your name on your bank accounts. Additionally, insurance policies, including car insurance, health insurance, and homeowner’s insurance, will need to be updated. And if you have a passport, you’ll need to apply for a new passport.

Discuss what will need to be updated with a Bucks County family attorney. Compelling a list of documents to review can smooth the process.

Could you benefit from legal support as you move to exit your marriage and revert to your maiden name? An experienced divorce attorney can help you navigate a name change and the divorce process itself, ensuring that your rights and interests are protected every step of the way. Talk to the legal team at Kardos, Rickles & Hand to learn more. Call 215-968-6602 to learn more.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn