The following are just some of the verdicts and settlements the attorneys of Kardos, Rickles & Hand have achieved for our clients over the past several years:
Cases included civil rights, sexual harassment, medical & dental malpractice, and vehicle and workplace injuries.
- $1.2 Million – Seatbelt failure
- $3,250,000 – automobile accident
- $3,250,000 – product liability settlement (a woman burned by a defective lighter)
- $2,000,000 – medical malpractice
- $1,500,000 – worker’s compensation claim
- $1,000,000 – medical malpractice
- $1,000,000 – product liability settlement
- $1,000,000 – motorcycle accident
- $1,000,000 – industrial accident
- $950,000 – Drug Interaction and Medical Malpractice
- $900,000 – Motorcycle death case.
- $750,000 – Failure to have fire resistant clothing
- $750,000 – failure to child proof disposable liter
- $750,000 – Lost finger – Product Liability
- $500,000 – Fire Damage and Explosion
- $500,000 – Police chase case
- $400,000 – Dental Malpractice
- $400,000 – Bad Faith Insurance Claim
- $375,000 – Dram Shop case
- $300,000 – Fractured hip
- $220,000 – Slip & Fall
- $100,000 – Dog Bite
- And over $6,385,000 in 13 additional claims ranging from $85,000–$900,000 per settlement.
Numerous not guilty verdicts including criminal homicides, robberies, sex assaults, rapes, burglary, drunk driving, arson, thefts, assaults and Federal Criminal charges.
Numerous appellate reviews including reversals in State Superior and Supreme Court Pennsylvania and Federal Court.
Company Must Pay Multi-Million Dollars in Man’s Death
Certified Steel of Hamilton, New Jersey settled with deceased worker’s widow. The widow of Certified Steel warehouse worker killed by an overhead load of beams killed in 2004 will receive a multi-million dollar settlement in a wrongful death suit. Marcia Austin, the wife of Wayne Austin, will receive money from a Hamilton, New Jersey steel company owned by a prominent area businessman.
Austin had accused the owner of Certified Steel of “playing Russian roulette with his workers lives” in an unsafe work place. Austin’s attorney, Marc I. Rickles of Kardos, Rickles & Hand in Newtown, Pennsylvania and Robin Lord, Esquire were the attorneys for Mrs. Austin. Austin, a 47-year-old father of four, including 13-year-old twins with cerebral palsy, was killed when a co-worker operating a 20-ton crane accidentally bumped that crane into a 10-ton crane, causing 13,000 tons of metal beams to swing and strike Austin in the head.
The wrongful death suit accused Certified Steel of operating a hazardous workplace, devoid of safety measures and operated by untrained employees.
Records show that prior to Austin’s death, Certified Steel had asked the crane manufacture how to prevent pieces of equipment from colliding, but the company didn’t implement the suggested solutions — which were installing anti-collision devices and training their employees on how to properly run the cranes. New Jersey law prohibits employees from suing their employees for accidents that happen within the normal course of a business. However, when a company’s actions rise to the level of intentional wrongdoing, a court is authorized to take action.
In allowing this law suit to move forward, Superior Court Judge Andrew Smithson said Certified Steel was more than just negligent. “There is no question in my thinking but that the working environment that the Plaintiff found himself in was apparently dangerous,” Smithson said. “It was substantially certain that an accident resulting in a personal injury or death would occur.” The attorneys for the Plaintiff in this matter did an extraordinary job in succeeding to overcome the worker’s compensation bar in New Jersey by proving to the Court’s satisfaction that the defendant’s actions rose to the level of an intentional wrongdoing.
A Comprehensive Law Firm Located in Newtown, PA
Qualified, respected, responsive. Whether your case involves seeking compensation for a personal injury, dealing with a family legal issue or defending yourself against criminal charges, the attorneys of Kardos, Rickles & Hand get results. Office locations in Newtown, Pennsylvania make us easily accessible to clients throughout Bucks County, Montgomery County and Mercer County. For more information, contact our firm today.