Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Bucks County Divorce Attorney
Contact Us Today For a Consultation 215-968-6602
Bucks County Divorce Attorneys > Blog > Family Law > How To Cope With Parenting Time Issues

How To Cope With Parenting Time Issues


Being a parent is not always easy, and this can be especially true for parents trying to parent in a healthy manner in the midst of a separation and divorce. There are even times when issues continue after a divorce has been finalized. For example, if the other parent resists access to your parenting time.

Thankfully, there are solutions. When you work with an experienced lawyer, a strategy can be developed. It is clearer how to make progress once a plan is in place. If you are ready to take steps to have your parenting time respected, connect with a Bucks County family attorney.

Document Missed Visits and Keep Records

As you move forward, it is helpful to have an accurate record of the situation. For instance, many find it beneficial to have a calendar of the visitation schedule that they can take notes on, noting when a visit was denied and why. Part of this record could be digital and include correspondences with your ex-spouse, such as texts and emails. Be sure your words within these exchanges are clear and professional in tone.

With accurate records, it can help to build your case. Emails and texts can be used to illustrate your attempts to keep the visitation schedule that was agreed upon. If your ex-spouse pushes back on a visitation schedule because of your behavior, it can also be helpful to record any steps you have taken to better yourself. For example, if you attend Alcoholics Anonymous, keep a record of your meetings and all you have done to get your life on track.

Your Attorney and the Courts

Sometimes, the situation can be corrected when your attorney sends a letter letting your ex know missed visitation will not be accepted. Official letters have even resulted in missed visits being made up along with the appropriate schedule being restored.

Through your attorneys, issues can be resolved outside of court. And using a lawyer is a strong signal that you will not have your parental rights trampled on, that you are intending to resolve the issue, even if going to court is necessary.

If your ex still does not abide by the parental agreement, it may be time to take the issue to a judge. A motion to enforce may be needed. In these situations, you are requesting the court to enforce the parental time agreement. For a court to enforce the agreement, the documentation you have gathered can be extremely useful. It is a way to prove to the court that your attempts to resolve the issue were ignored and that visits were repeatedly missed.

A Bucks County family attorney can assess your situation and inform you on the best path forward. When a severe breach is evident, contempt charges may be possible. Or you may choose to file for modifications to the custody order. The point is, you have options.

Has your ex decided not to follow a mandated visitation schedule? The family law attorneys at Kardos, Rickles & Hand can help. Our dedicated legal team understands the finer points of family law. There are opportunities to create the life you want. Schedule your consultation today, call 215-968-6602.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn