Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Kardos, Rickles & Hand Bucks County Divorce Attorney
  • Contact Us Today For a Consultation

Do I Need To Report A Bucks County Accident?


If you’ve recently been in a car accident in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, it’s important that you report the accident right away. Even if the damage is minimal, or you don’t think anyone was injured, reporting the accident is still the responsible and legally correct thing to do.

According to state vehicle code, Pennsylvania drivers involved in a car accident must report it to the police if there’s an injury, death, or more than $500 in property damage. It can be extremely difficult to put a monetary amount on vehicular damage after a crash, so it’s typically best practice to simply call the police no matter what the level of damage is. A phone call to law enforcement could also protect you in a future insurance settlement dispute or personal injury case. To learn more, connect with a Bucks County personal injury attorney.

What If the Other Driver Does Not Want to Call the PA Police?

Another driver involved may attempt to convince you not to call law enforcement. The driver may not want to report an accident for a variety of reasons, such as fearing that their insurance rates will increase or being worried about legal implications. Their reasons are not your concern, protect yourself and see your own legal obligation by making a call to the Pennsylvania police or New Jersey law enforcement, depending on where the accident took place.

In addition to informing the police of the incident, there is likely legal language in your auto insurance policy that contractually obligates you to inform them of a vehicular claim. Trying to hide the event, through avoiding a police report or not reporting the accident to insurance companies, will make your claim settlement process more complicated.

For example, if you sustained an injury as a result of a crash, you will probably have a difficult time accessing financial recovery if there is no documentation of the accident and a prompt visit to a medical professional.

Can I File an Insurance Claim When There’s No Police Report?

Insurance companies want documentation that verifies the incident in question took place when the person seeking damages said it did. A police report is a document that serves as this type of evidence.

While a Pennsylvania or New Jersey police report is an important piece of documentation for individuals pursuing damage recovery after a Bucks County collision, there may be a path forward without it, such as photographic evidence and witness statements. To have your situation reviewed by a professional, connect with a Bucks County personal injury attorney who will fight for your rights.

Are you confused about how to secure a settlement after you were involved in an accident? After a Pennsylvania or New Jersey car accident injury, discuss ways to strengthen your claim with the legal team at Kardos, Rickles & Hand. Experienced legal professionals know how to achieve an optimal outcome, whether police were informed in the moments following a collision the event was documented later. To get your claim started call 215-968-6602.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation