Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Bucks County Divorce Attorney
Contact Us Today For a Consultation 215-968-6602
Bucks County Divorce Attorneys > Blog > Personal Injury > Are There Different Types of Motorcycle Licenses In Pennsylvania?

Are There Different Types of Motorcycle Licenses In Pennsylvania?


Cruising on a motorcycle down the scenic roads of Bucks County can be an exhilarating experience, but before you rev up that engine, it’s essential to understand the legal requirements for operating a motorcycle in Pennsylvania. There are different types of motorcycle licenses, each designed to cater to different levels of riders and their specific needs.

Understanding what motorcycle license you need is a step to riding responsibly. If you were hurt in a PA motorcycle accident and believe that individuals involved did not carry the correct licensing, discuss your situation with a Bucks County personal injury attorney.

Types of Licenses and How to Obtain Them

For a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts, carrying a Class M license makes the most sense. This is because many of these people already possess a standard Pennsylvania driver’s license, so they can add a motorcycle authorization to it. This endorsement, often referred to as a Class M endorsement, allows you to legally operate a motorcycle on the road once you pass a test that covers motorcycle-specific rules, regulations, and safety practices.

If you don’t hold a regular driver’s license, you can apply for a Class M motorcycle license. With this type of license, you will be able to legally operate motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters but not other types of motor vehicles. Knowledge tests and motorcycle skills tests are required.

Steps to obtaining a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

  • Study for the test. Before attempting any tests, it’s crucial to study the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator Manual which covers the rules and regulations specific to motorcycle operation in the state. Doing so will help you prepare for the required tests.
  • Pass the test. To obtain a motorcycle endorsement or a motorcycle-only license, you need to pass a knowledge test which evaluates your understanding of motorcycle safety practices, road signs, and traffic laws.
  • Complete a safety source. While it is not a requirement, Pennsylvania offers a Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program (PAMSP). This program provides valuable safety training for motorcyclists of all skill levels. Completing an approved course not only enhances your riding skills but can also lead to benefits such as insurance discounts and skills test waivers.
  • Pass skills test, if needed. When seeking a motorcycle-only license, you will need to pass a motorcycle skills test. This is an assessment of your ability to control a motorcycle safely and effectively in various real-world scenarios.

Whether you choose to pursue a motorcycle endorsement on your driver’s license or obtain a separate Class M motorcycle license, be sure you’re legally and safely equipped to enjoy the open roads on your motorcycle before setting out.

Beginning and Experienced Riders Must Follow the Law

Adhering to state requirements contributes to a safer and more enjoyable riding experience in the beautiful Bucks County landscape. Accidents can happen, and if they do protect yourself through a conversation with a Bucks County personal injury attorney.

Is licensing an issue in your insurance discussions following a Pennsylvania motorcycle injury? Talk to the legal team at Kardos, Rickles & Hand. Call 215-968-6602.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn