Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Bucks County Divorce Attorney
Contact Us Today For a Consultation 215-968-6602
Bucks County Divorce Attorneys > Blog > Personal Injury > Answers to Insurance Questions After a PA Collision

Answers to Insurance Questions After a PA Collision


Dealing with insurance companies after a car crash can add another layer of complexity to an already challenging situation, so it is normal to have questions when navigating a Pennsylvania or New Jersey insurance claim.

While there are common answers to prevalent questions, sharing the specifics of your situation with a Bucks County personal injury attorney is a way to connect with information tailored to your unique claim.

What Type of Insurance is Required in Pennsylvania?

Every state has its own regulations when it comes to motor vehicle insurance coverage. In Pennsylvania, drivers are required to carry a minimum amount of auto insurance, including the following. Driving without this coverage is illegal.

  • Bodily injury. This liability coverage pays for injuries that are caused to others during an accident.
  • Property damage. When there is damage to another person’s property as the result of an accident, property damage liability coverage will pay for the expenses.
  • Medical benefits. Coverage that pays medical expenses for you and others injured in your vehicle is medical benefit coverage.

What If the Other Driver is Uninsured or Underinsured?

Even though insurance is required, there are situations when an accident occurs and the at-fault driver is uninsured. In these situations, you may be able to use your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) to connect with compensation for your medical expenses, emotional distress, and other damages. It’s often recommended that drivers secure UM/UIM coverage because of the amount of uninsured drivers on Pennsylvania roads.

How Do I File a Claim with My Insurance Company?

After a collision, seeking medical care and alerting law enforcement comes first. Next, promptly notify your insurance company and provide them with all the necessary information about the accident, including the details of who was involved, the police report, witness statements, and medical care accessed. Then, the claims process will be initiated.

What If an Insurance Company Denies My Claim?

There are a range of reasons why an insurance adjuster may deny a claim or offer a payout that is far too low. If your insurance claim is denied or you received an unsatisfactory settlement offer, there are steps you can take to move toward a better outcome for you and your family. For instance, you can appeal the decision or negotiate further, and an attorney can assist you in challenging denials and pursuing the compensation you deserve.

Should I Provide a Recorded Statement to the Insurance Company?

Be cautious when sharing information with insurance companies, and if an adjuster asks you for a recorded statement, consult with a Bucks County personal injury attorney first. It is possible that the company wants you to say something on record that could be used against you in the claims process. Insurance adjusters may attempt to elicit information that can be detrimental to your case.

Where were you when you were involved in a vehicular accident? If your accident injury was sustained in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, talk to state law and personal injury experts, connect with the legal team at Kardos, Rickles & Hand. Call 215-968-6602 to schedule your consultation today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn