Spousal Support in Pennsylvania

March 15, 2018
Picture of People Stretching a Dollar

Also called spousal support, alimony is a payment one spouse gives to the other spouse to provide financial support during or after a divorce. It is possible for the spouses to reach an agreement regarding the amount and duration of alimony. The court can also hand down an order if the spouses can’t agree on spousal support. In the state of Pennsylvania, there are three types of support orders the court can hand down: spousal support, alimony pendente lite, and alimony. If you’re interested in pursuing alimony, check out our list of these three support types and find out which one best fits your situation.

Spousal Support, Alimony Pendente Lite, and Alimony

Spousal suppose and alimony pendente lite orders are handed down before a divorce is finalized. Payments are made after the spouses separate, but before the divorce is final. Alimony pendente lite is a temporary order handed down after the divorce is filed but it can’t be handed down at the same time as alimony. Pennsylvania law requires the court to set guidelines to calculate spousal support payments. Needs taken into account will include the amount of support needed, net incomes, and the earning abilities of each spouse. The court can also determine how long the orders will last. Alimony, on the other hand, is made at the time of or after the divorce is finalized.

Determining how much a spouse will receive can be a little more complicated than some couples initially expect. The amount of support you can receive is based on your unique circumstances. However, some common factors that may be considered include:

  • Income and property of each spouse
  • Whether there are any children and who will be raising the children
  • Duration of marriage

Generally, the more income you have relative to your ex, the less support you may receive. However, if you have children for example, amount of support may be increased accordingly. If you’re having trouble determining how much spousal support you can get during or after a divorce, make sure you contact an experienced alimony attorney. The lawyers at Kardos, Rickles, and Hand have experience in divorce, child custody & spousal support cases in Bucks County, Mercer County, Montgomery County and throughout the region. Contact our office to schedule a free consultation today.