Close Menu
Bucks County Divorce Attorney
Contact Us Today For a Consultation 215-968-6602
Aggressive Litigators
& Skilled Negotiators

We create effective strategies that maximize recovery for all of our clients.

You're More Than
Just A Client

We take the time to get to know our clients and provide
the best possible solutions.

Get In Touch Today!

Our firm is committed to return your call with
substantive answers right away.

Verdicts & Settlements
$3,250,000 Automobile Accident
$3,250,000 Product Liability Settlement
$2,000,000 Medical Malpractice
$1,500,000 Worker’s Compensation Claim
$1,200,000 Seatbelt Failure
$1,000,000 Medical Malpractice
$1,000,000 Product Liability Settlement
$1,000,000 Motorcycle Accident
$1,000,000 Industrial Accident
  • Previous
  • Next

Bucks County Divorce Attorney

Experienced and Trustworthy Attorneys Serving Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Since 1981, the lawyers of Kardos, Rickles & Hand have successfully represented clients in family law, divorce, criminal defense, and personal injury in Bucks County, Mercer County, Montgomery County and throughout the region. Our Bucks County divorce attorneys are aggressive litigators and skilled negotiators with extensive experience. We possess the knowledge necessary to assess the merits of each case and plan effective strategies that maximize recovery for clients. Our skills and resources allow us to pursue large, complex cases and yield excellent results – but we also have the knowledge to resolve smaller issues before they grow into more complicated ordeals. Our lawyers are admitted to practice in local, state and federal courts in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Pennsylvania Family Law & Divorce FAQ

Our Bucks County Family Attorneys Can Answer Your Questions About Divorce, Child Custody or Child Support in Pennsylvania

The attorneys at Kardos, Rickles & Hand understand the sensitive nature of family matters. Our family law attorneys have nearly four decades of experience representing clients in a wide variety of family law matters. Whatever you are facing, we want to make the process easier for you and your loved ones. Below, we have answered frequently asked questions in Pennsylvania about divorce, alimony, child custody and child support.

How Long Does a Divorce Take in Pennsylvania?

The length of the divorce process ultimately depends on the circumstances surrounding the divorce. There are two types of divorce in Pennsylvania: a fault divorce and a no-fault divorce, however the court must approve the grounds for divorce in a no-fault divorce. Application for a grounds order can be made 90 days after service of the divorce complaint by mutual agreement of the parties. If there is no mutual agreement, then one party can unilaterally seek grounds one year after the parties separated.

Once the grounds order is entered, the parties can begin to resolve equitable distribution of property. The more agreeable the parties, the shorter the property division phase will last.

Who Gets Alimony In a Divorce?

In the event of divorce, the court may grant alimony, or spousal support to either party if they believe it is necessary. The court will consider a variety of factors when determining alimony. For example, the court will evaluate the relative needs of the parties and each party’s sources of income including earned income, assets and expectancies. The court will also consider each party’s liabilities, mental and physical health, and whether each party is incapable of self-support. If alimony is awarded, the court will determine the amount and duration of alimony.

What Is Alimony Pendente Lite?

In Pennsylvania, alimony pendente lite is a type of spousal support that can be issued from the court after a divorce is filed and while the divorce is pending. Alimony pendente lite provides financial support to the lesser earning spouse during the divorce process. However, it is a short-term order. It is terminated once the divorce is finalized.

How Is Child Custody Determined?

There are two parts to child custody: legal custody and physical custody. In many cases, the court will adopt a reasonable custody agreement decided upon by both parents. If both parents cannot agree upon a custody agreement, the court will decide. The court makes their decision based on a variety of factors that determine the child’s safety and best interests. The court will consider factors such as each parent’s ability to provide for the child, the child’s preference and history of criminal activity and abuse. In Pennsylvania, under certain circumstances, grandparents or great-grandparents may be awarded partial physical custody or supervised physical custody.

Can the Custodial Parent Move Out of State?

The custodial parent cannot move out of state with the child without first filing a notice of the proposed relocation. Each individual who has child custody rights must consent to the proposed relocation or the court must grant the custodial parent permission.

If the non-relocating party objects to the proposed relocation, then a hearing will be scheduled and the court will decide. The court should grant or deny the relocation request after evaluating a variety of factors with the child’s safety and best interests in mind.

Failure to meet Pennsylvania’s child relocation provisions could result in child custody modifications, a court order to return the child to the other party and fines.

How Is Child Support Calculated in Pennsylvania?

Once a child custody order is in place, the court will use a formula created by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to determine the amount of child support that the non-custodial party must contribute each month. The formula emphasizes each party’s net income and earning potential. However, the amount of child support awarded depends on other circumstances too. The court may consider factors such as the child’s health and potential medical expenses, whether each party is responsible for other children, and the child’s best interests.

When Does Child Support End in Pennsylvania?

Child support ends when the child becomes 18 or graduates high school, whichever occurs last. However, there are exceptions. If both parents agreed upon certain provisions of child support, they must be adhered to. For example, Pennsylvania does not require university support; however, if both parents agreed that child support would continue through university, then child support would end after graduation.

How Can I Find a Family Law Attorney Near Me?

If you are facing a family law matter, we recommend that you contact the Bucks County family law attorneys at Kardos, Rickles & Hand. Call us today at 215-968-6602 to discuss your situation. You can also fill out our online contact form and someone from our office will be in touch with you shortly.

Contact Our Experienced Bucks County Divorce Attorneys Today

When you choose Kardos, Rickles & Hand, you’re more than just a client — you’re part of the team. Our criminal defense and divorce attorneys listen attentively, and make sure our clients understand what is happening with their cases at all times. Additionally, when you have a question, our firm is committed to return your call with a substantive answer within 24 hours.

Qualified, respected, responsive. Whether your case involves seeking compensation for a personal injury, dealing with a family legal issue or defending yourself against criminal charges, the Bucks County, PA divorce attorneys of Kardos, Rickles & Hand get results. Office location in Newtown, Pennsylvania make us easily accessible to clients throughout Bucks County, Montgomery County and Mercer County. For more information, contact our firm today at 215-968-6602.

Learn More

Client Testimonials
"Forever Grateful"

I used Kevin Hand for my divorce and custody proceedings. Kevin, Diane and everyone else in the office went above and beyond for me. Kevin always listened to my concerns and fought as hard for ...

—Jenn W.
"Professional, Sensitive, and More Than Accommodating"

I would highly recommend Kardos, Rickles & Hand. Mr. Hand and Mr. Ramagli were professional, sensitive, and more than accommodating. Their expertise got the job done! Diane, along with the rest of the staff, is ...

—Donna L.
"Absolutely Fabulous"

Kevin and Diane made what is probably the most stressful time in a persons life so much more bearable. Every time I spoke with Kevin he made everything make sense. His patience in answering questions ...

—Jorge F.
"Highly Recommend"

Would highly recommend this law firm. Kevin Hand in particular. Very professional and helpful during my divorce. Kevin Hand and his assistant Diane Waterson were always there to answer any questions or concerns I had.

—Marianne D.
"Always Willing and Available"

I cannot say enough positive things about this law firm. They are a wonderful group of professionals. Kevin Hand was my divorce attorney. He helped me through the divorce by walking me step by step ...

—Deborah F.
"Amazing Results"

I have dealt with many law firms over the years. Kardos, Rickles & Hand is by far the best one out there. The attorneys and their support staff are professional and understanding. They really care ...

—Pat R.
"Very Professional"

Best lawyer in town! He will treat you with respect! And will never judge you or the situation you are in, a very professional and very good hearted person.never lost case high recommend it kardos ...

—Pasquale P.
"I Received All I Was Entitled To"

I am delighted with the service I received from Kevin Hand. My divorce case was very complicated; it involved in-depth knowledge of immigration law and VAWA; in fact, a divorce case like mine had never ...

—Vivian E.
"Extremely Professional"

Joe Ramagli represented me as my divorce attorney back in 2018. Joe was extremely professional, kind and displayed a huge amount of patience as I went through the roller coaster that is divorce. He worked ...

—Heather Ferguson
"Excellent Lawyer A+++"

Going to Kardos, Rickles and Hand was such a positive experience. I was in need of a lawyer, and Joe Ramagli was referred to me by a colleague. The office is clean, neat and organized. ...

—Karen Zucaro
"Professional and Friendly"

Professional services, friendly lawyers and staff, and happy with the results.

—Thomas Anconetani
"Highly Recommend"

Very competent, sociable and complete professional experience. Highly recommend Mr. Hand and associates.

—Vincent J Paravecchia
"Excellent Firm"

They are an excellent firm. I highly recommend them and Kevin Hand in particular.

—Michael Garry
"Highly Recommend"

I love Mark Rickles he is so Good at what he does. He genuinely cares for his clients and cases. Very professional and forward! Definitely the man to see in a tight spot.

—Shayna Reif
  • Previous
  • Next
Contact Us Today For A Consultation
Required Field By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Kardos, Rickles & Hand, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.
protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Top 40 Under 40
10 Best 2019
10 Best 2020
10 Best 2019
10 Best 2020
10 Best 2021
Super Lawyers 2020
Super Lawyers 2021